Wednesday, June 20, 2012

DIY: Toilet Paper Roll Art

After starting this blog six months ago, I fell off the wagon- again. But, I've done a ton of projects since then and I think I'm finally ready to blog them out.

I want to reiterate that I am not that good at coming up with ideas on my own. I get almost all of my ideas from Pinterest and go from there. I'm all about giving credit where credit is due, so I'll try my best to link back to whoever came up with the original craft I'm recreating. 

Also, this blog is not going to be a step-by-step guide on how to recreate something. You can go to Pinterest for that. In fact, I encourage it. Pinterest is a great way for people like me who like to craft, but aren't that good at coming up with the idea. 

So, now that we have that out in the open, here's my first project! (Keep in mind that almost all of these were done in the past six months.)

Last year, my husband and I bought a big house. It has a lot of extra rooms that we barely use and lots of walls to fill. I'm a cheap-ass when it comes to buying decorations and get a lot of mine at Goodwill or HomeGoods. Otherwise, I make them. 

To fill a blank wall in the basement, I wanted a big piece that was cheap. Cue toilet paper roll art


This DIY projects was one of the slower going ones, as I had to save up toilet paper and paper towel rolls. But, sure enough, I collected, cut and glued enough to make this. I know this picture looks like crap (it's an iPhone picture), and for some reason the scale of the couch and the TP art looks off, but alas, that's the point of this blog. I don't take professional quality pictures of my projects and I sure as hell don't edit them. 

This project was free, except for the spray paint, which I'm guessing ended up costing about $5. 

A very high level breakdown of the project:
  • Cut TP rolls to desired width. I did about 1" and was not exact. I bent mine a little to give them a petal shape. 
  • I would recommend spray painting them before gluing, because getting in all of the crevices was a pain. Plus, I had to use more spray paint to get in said crevices. 
  • Hot glue the pieces into a desired pattern. There are many ideas on Pinterest.
This really was easy, just a little time consuming. Since I created it, gravity has taken over a bit, so I need to revisit the hanging situation. Other than that, I'm happy with how well it covers the empty wall and the fact that it was free doesn't hurt either!


No comments:

Post a Comment